Digital Design department meeting 2018-04-11

Time: 12:30 - 13:30
Room: Scrollbar

Agenda

  1. General information
    • Faculty and PhD positions
      - Assistant Professor Joanna Saad-Sulonen
    • Information from management, boards and councils
      -
    • Other information
      - 26/4: Open ITU event about loot boxes (Pawel / Rune)
      - We still have available budget for inviting guest speakers in 2018. See current proposals here. Please discuss new proposals with your head of group before listing them.
      - Lockout situation: due to the possible lockout, local salary negotiations have been postponed to August (but will retroactively take effect 1 April 2018). (Corrected - thanks to Stine:) The potential lockout is postponed, with new notice at April 28. However, if the negotiations are concluded without any agreement before that date, the lockout can be announced to take effect with a five days notice.
      - New procedure for holiday registration, see mail from the mtime team 26 March 2018. They will automatically prebook weeks 28, 29, 30 (7-29 July this year) as holiday for everybody. If you want to change this booking, send a mail to malmborg@itu.dk with your wish for changes, and I will forward it for registration.
      - We have academic (for ITU teaching and research) licenses for Nvivo, a kind of qualitative data analysis tool, in 2018 (get the license key from Karin Tjoa knt@itu.dk).
      - We have test access to full-text books from MacMillan and Springer, sign up at: https://www.macmillanexplorers.com/register-email-domain using your @itu.dk mail address.
  2. Good news and accomplishments
    • New research projects / grants
    • Other stuff to celebrate

  3. Update on ITU Research Management Policy (Minna)
  4. Internal Evaluation Feedback (Hajo: see mail from Hajo 9/4)
  5. AOB

Minutes

  1. General information
    • Faculty and PhD positions
      - Assistant Professor Joanna Saad-SulonenJoanna makes a short presentation. Primary work areas: Participatory design.
    • Information from management, boards and councils
      - ITU has received 37 applications for PhD positions/openings, and Lone is happy with the number of applicants. There are 3,5 openings across the three departments at ITU. Potential PhD supervisors will receive more information.
    • Other information
      - 26/4: Open ITU event about loot boxes (Pawel / Rune)Rune: Loot boxes are virtual boxes with random content that players can purchase in video games - became a hot topic towards the end of 2017 when several legislative bodies proposed that they were essentially gambling mechanisms. Pawel and Rune are the first to address this issue academically, and based on their paper, this OpenITU event is made. There will be guests from the gambling authority, Center for Ludomani (who treated 33 young people last year), and a former student who is now crationg loot boxes. The event takes place in scrollbar 26 April from 16-17:30.
      - We still have available budget for inviting guest speakers in 2018
      We still have available money for organizing events, workshop seminars etc. Please suggest names/dates estimated budget etc. into the shared sheet.
      - Lockout situation: due to the possible lockout, local salary negotiations have been postponed to August (but will retroactively take effect 1 April 2018). (Corrected - thanks to Stine:) The potential lockout is postponed, with new notice at April 28. However, if the negotiations are concluded without any agreement before that date, the lockout can be announced to take effect with a five days notice.
      - New procedure for holiday registration, see mail from the mtime team 26 March 2018. They will automatically prebook weeks 28, 29, 30 (7-29 July this year) as holiday for everybody. If you want to change this booking, send a mail to malmborg@itu.dk with your wish for changes, and I will forward it for registration. - We have academic (for ITU teaching and research) licenses for Nvivo, a kind of qualitative data analysis tool, in 2018 (get the license key from Karin Tjoa knt@itu.dk). - We have test access to full-text books from MacMillan and Springer, sign up at: https://www.macmillanexplorers.com/register-email-domain using your @itu.dk mail address.- News on the summer seminar – this year we will (also) focus on making the seminar relevant for PhD students. In doing so we will have teambuilding across research groups. Besides that, we will have three different tracks:
      First track: Here you can get inspiration about how to build your CV as a young researcher.
      Second track: Funding application work
      Third track: Research appear work
      You will be asked to choose a track.

  2. Good news and accomplishments
    • New research projects / grants
    • Other stuff to celebrate
      Babynews: Anna.

  3. Update on ITU Research Management Policy (Minna)
    All departments have been part of a hearing process. Most feedback was on the implementation of the policy. Comments on the policy, itself was that some people thought that this policy does not apply to them – but the policy actually involves all of us. Next step: The policy will be revised so that it is made clearer what research data is (in the policy) in order to make it clear that the policy involves all of us.
    Minna will share the new version when it is finished.
    Lone: How will it be circulated or implemented?
    Minna: We haven’t really discussed it yet – it will be a implementation process we will properly not provide all our selves. However, there will be some training for researchers.


  4. Internal Evaluation Feedback (Hajo: see mail from Hajo 9/4)
    Related to courses and education in general.
    Hajo has send out a survey – ITU will evaluate their student evaluations. There are too many evaluations at the moment – and the number of respondents are never at a satisfactory level.

    The Ministry has three evaluations that they need us to conduct. The content of these evaluations is overlapping with our own evaluations. ITU sees this as an opportunity to look at our evaluations.
    There is a project group working with this. You have all received a survey from Hajo, asking what is useful and what is not useful in the evaluations. Hajo and Lone encourage all to answer. Feedback from faculty is very valuable.
    Deadline for feedback is tomorrow 12 April. The evaluations is anonymous.


    Comments from faculty:

    Comment: I am concerned about the data quality. I am missing some comments about when data becomes valid. It gives rise to criticism if we change study programmes based on these evaluations.

    Comment: Some evaluations tells more about the students then about the courses. It would be fantastic if we could come around this issue somehow.

    Comment: Could we make the evaluations mandatory? You cannot force people to evaluate, but you can force them to click through it. Hajo: the possibility of not having an opinion does exist in the questionnaires.

    Comment: In some universities, you don’t get the grade unless you give feedback.

    Comment: Who is the target of these evaluations? Regarding the teachers feedback you get the most of the feedback in the class – the evaluations are not valuable for the teacher. I wouldn’t be surprised if the non-responders are the positive responders – the students would let us know if they were unsatisfied.

    Comment: I disagree – I learn from the evaluations.

    Comment: The very personalized stuff is not nice – we should not ask the students to evaluate on the teachers – it gets personal which, off course, is very problematic.

    Comment: The ambition of the evaluations should be to raise the quality of the teaching and courses – the timing of the evaluations is not beneficial in order to make the students participate in the evaluations.

  5. AOB

    Lea: New process of how to assign external examiners to exams
    An algorithmic system allocate supervisors and looks into our calendars. Lea stresses that she don’t know what this actually means. I think we should raise our concerns about not being informed about how the new system works.


    The allocation of external examiners happens on the basis of a non-checked list. If you have already found a examiner you don’t have to cancel the person.

    In general, DD faculty are very happy about the fact that someone is taking over this task of finding external examiners.

    It is decided that we will ask SAP to come and inform about the new system at the department lunch meeting next week (wed 18 April).

    Lone: Pure-regiatrations: Please finalize your Pure registrations. The data will soon be harvested. You, and ITU, don’t get the BFI-points if you don’t finalize it. You are welcome to ask Peter Forsmann if you have questions or need help.

    Gitte: The library council: Campaign to students about how to use the library.